Monday, March 15, 2010

Concessions

Tonight I went to see Remember Me with some friends. Side note: the movie is awkward practically the entire time, but R.Patt and the end make it worth the $9.50.

Anyway, we buy our tickets and head to the concessions. My two friends take a longer than normal time to decide what they want, making the awkward 20-something that's running the register feel even more uncomfortable than he already was.

I knew I wanted my cinema staple of Sour Patch Kids, so I asked for a bag. He took this as an invitation to tell me his entire daily schedule. He had been working since 3pm and was closing at 1am. As I'm trying to act like I'm listening while grabbing my candy and putting my change away, my stupid response is "1am? Who sees a movie at 1am?" Instead of laughing, he continues to tell me how that was nothing. He has to be there until the last person leaves and then he has to wake up at 8am. Why? To go to a rock concert. His friend gets not just 10 free tickets, but 10 backstage passes to some supposed music festivals every month. And they're driving to one tomorrow....somewhere that involves getting up at 8am.  He then proceeded to list every band that he would be seeing (and I guess meeting) this year.

I just want some candy. That's all. I was just trying to hurry along my friends who couldn't decide what they wanted. Instead, I get an earful from a guy who clearly hasn't seen a dentist since 2001, and could check the "A Little Extra for You to Hold On to" body type box on eHarmony.com. I would bet 100% that he was a local to Harrisonburg, Virginia. And that is saying something.

Why is this the type of man that I attract? Hm?

I was so thrilled to see that when the movie was over, he was still behind the register. His last words to us for the evening? "It's midnight...one hour before I get off work..."

No comments:

Post a Comment